Me and my love of school supplies. It runs deep.
I love to shop. My mom loves to shop. My grandmother loved to shop. So, shopping runs deep. But, there was one time of year that shopping was mandatory. BACK TO SCHOOL!! And I loved it. Shopping for the first day of school outfit, the new binder, and oohhh stickers.... Freshly sharpened pencils, I still love it all. But there is one specific back to school that turned me out.
In 1991 I went to stay with my dad for a while. It was February of 1991. In September of 1991 my father and I went shopping for school supplies. It was the first year I went shopping for school supplies without my mom buying, and without my brother. It was the first year I went shopping for school supplies in an office supply store. School supplies where usually bought at Caldor's or Woolworth's or H. L. Green's. But I went to an Office Supply Store with my father and he said, "Well, go get what you want...." You guys......I was in heaven. I swear, it was like the roof opened up and a light shined down on a package of pink notebook paper. **sidebar: Every summer we would go to Tennessee and before leaving I would go to the Wal-Mart and buy some package of colorful pens, (usually red, green, you know....) But this year, Bic had made some Shimmers pens that were in Pink, Purple, Turquoise, and Lime.** So when I saw that pink notebook paper, I HAD TO HAVE IT! And I could!!! My dad didn't make me get the plain white paper that was on sale for like 25 cents. And just when I thought it wouldn't get any better, he went and picked out some pink correction fluid, (read:white out)!! *I will love my dad forever for that.*
My teachers hated it. But at that time there were no school rules that said you had to write in blue or black ink or that your paper had to be white. So me and my pink pen and pink paper and Super Shades Binder and pink highlighter were all the rage at school.
That school year was a very turbulent one. However, it gave me one of my happiest memories and one of my favorite personal traditions: Picking a color scheme and buying new school supplies. I have added to that my yearly tradition of picking a new fashion theme.
I am grown now. But I am always excited about back to school. And this year, I get to buy school supplies. I am trying to decide on a color scheme, (though my paper will be white). I need a new tote bag to carry my books, I need notebooks, pens, highlighters, you know, all of that. I have decided on a Jackie O. goes bohemian look for back to school this fall. Now, time to hit the sales to bring my look together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment